FIVE Precautions to Take for Summer Activity
1. First and foremost wear sunscreen. Burns hurt! They can get quite serious too. Not to mention skin damage and increasing your risk of skin cancer. Wear at least an SPF 15 sunscreen. Apply it 15 minutes before heading out, for maximum UV protection.
2. Avoid exercising between 11-3 when the sun is strongest, hottest and can do the most damage. Aim for morning and evening workouts to avoid heat stroke and sun damage. Mornings in the summer are quite beautiful. If you live near the water, all the more visually appealing!
3. Drink Fluids. Most people are dehydrated at any given time. In the summer this increases your risk of heat stroke and in general, makes you tired and feel groggy. Drink a 1/2-1 cup of water 30 minutes before exercising and 1-2 cups after to replenish your body of much needed fluids.
4. Don't think you are safe from the sun in the water. If anything the water makes sun damage worse. The rays reflect off the surface of the water. It's like being in one of those old, foil tanning beds. Make sure your sunscreen is water-proof!
5. Wear sunglasses. Your eyes can deteriorate over time without UV protection. Pick out a pair that has 99-100% UV protection. Price does not make a better pair of shades, unless it's for fashion. Even inexpensive pairs offer all the eye protection you need to get through the summer. For exercising choose a clear lenses so your vision is not obstructed. Especially while running or cycling in Urban areas.
If you are exercising outdoors in the heat and you feel dizzy, fatigued or nauseous, take a break. Sit in the shade or go indoors for a drink. Listen to your body at all times. The heat and humidity is no place to push yourself farther than your body wants to go.
Exercising outdoors in the summer is fun, beautiful and highly recommended. Just be careful, know your limitations and take the precautions necessary to have a safe and enjoyable workout.
Summer IS Here!
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends