Sweet, sticky and full of fun, this Caramel Corn recipe will be loved by kids the world over! It’s great fun to make and great fun to eat- what more could you want?
1/2 cup popcorn kernels or about 10 cups of popped corn
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
© Michelle Milliman | Dreamstime.com
- Preheat the oven to 49 degrees C and place the oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Pop the corn and place in a large stainless steel bowl that has been lightly buttered or sprayed with a non stick cooking spray.
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, stir together the sugars, corn syrup, and water. Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once the mixture boils, cover, and boil the mixture for about one to two minutes.
- Uncover the saucepan and clamp a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan.
- Boil the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the temperature reaches the soft ball stage, 116 degrees C. At this point, stir in the butter.
- Continue to cook the caramel, stirring occasionally, until the temperature reaches the hard crack stage, 149 degrees C. (Brush down the sides of the pan, with a heatproof pastry brush that has been dipped in warm water, to remove any sugar crystals that may have formed on the sides of the saucepan.)
- Then remove the saucepan from the heat and carefully stir in the salt and baking soda.
- The caramel will foam up when you add the baking soda. Pour the caramel over the popcorn and toss, with two heatproof spatulas or wooden spoons, to evenly coat the popcorn.
- The caramel corn will be in large clumps so spread the caramel corn onto a large sheet of aluminum foil.
- Then, while the caramel corn is still hot, separate it into bite-size pieces, with two forks or by wearing heatproof gloves. Cool completely and then store in an airtight container, at room temperature
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends