When people think of Sushi, they never really think of the possibility of making it themselves. Once you know how to do it, it’s really not very complicated. Sushi is so healthy and so tasty that it’s great to eat as much as possible, so give making it a try today!
For the vinegar sauce
5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the sushi
3 cups uncooked short grain rice (traditional measuring cup; not electric rice cup measure)
About 16 sheets of nori (roasted seaweed sheets)
Naturally brewed Japanese soy sauce for dipping
Wasabi paste (optional)
For the filling
1 package (1 cup) pre-washed spinach
2 large carrots, cut into 3 ½-inch lengths, then cut into thin strips
1 large English cucumber, cut into 3 ½-inch lengths, then cut into thin strips
1 package (1 cup) enoki mushrooms, trimmed
1 ripe avocado, peeled, sliced and dipped in lemon juice to prevent browning
1 package (1 cup) sliced cold smoked salmon
1/2 cup salmon roe (optional)
© Parisassoc | Dreamstime.com
- To make the vinegar sauce, in a small non-reactive saucepan combine the vinegar, sugar and salt and heat low until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Cook rice in an electric rice cooker. If you don’t have a rice cooker, use the absorption method from Cook’s Illustrated, but omit the salt.
- Meanwhile, put spinach in a bowl and pour boiling water over. When spinach wilts, drain and rinse in cold water.
- Gently squeeze dry. Arrange all filling ingredients attractively on a serving platter.
- Toast nori sheets by passing sheet over low heat on a gas or electric burner. Be careful not to burn yourself or the nori.
- Use kitchen shears to cut each nori sheet into quarters.
- When the rice is cooked, remove from rice cooker to a flat, wide glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Sprinkle with vinegar sauce and toss gently to combine. Use a fan or a piece of cardboard to fan the mixture as you toss, to cool rice down quickly.
- To assemble sushi, provide each diner with a dinner plate, chopsticks and a little bowl for soy sauce.
- Each diner takes a nori square, adds a bit of rice and fillings of their choice and folds the nori over to encase the filling.
- Provide soy sauce and wasabi to combine for a dipping sauce.
| Lunch Recipes
| Dinner Recipes
|Easy & Quick Recipes
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
SPRING BREAK FIJI
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
SPRING BREAK FIJI
The ultimate 5 days & Nights in Paradise!