The thick and meaty Skate wings are one of the tastiest fish around. I love them simply fried or poached with some fresh lemon juice and tangy tartare sauce. The flesh of the skate wings just slides away from the soft bones with ease once cooked thoroughly. You can make tartare sauce from scratch by using a whole egg, vinegar and oil, but I cheat using mayonnaise and lemon juice with chopped gherkins and herb.
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 skate wings cut in half if big
2 tablespoons plain flour
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon salt
Olive oil or cooking oil for frying
3 heaped tablespoons mayonnaise
Freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 gherkin chopped
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
Lemon wedges to serve
- Mix flour, pepper and salt and put on a shallow plate. Coat skate wings evenly with the seasoned flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Heat oil in a frying pan about 2cm in depth over medium heat. When the oil is hot, slide skate wings in. 2 at a time , do not overcrowd the frying pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until one side is golden, turn over and cook the other side. Be careful not to splash hot oil all over your stove. You can test the fish by inserting the tip of a sharp knife along a bone and if the meat inside is completely white and falls away from the bone it is cooked.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, mix mayo, lemon juice, gherkin and herb in a small mixing ball. Season to taste if you like.
- Serve fried fish with tartare sauce and lemon wedges.
Tip; you can use lime juice instead of lemon; or coriander, thyme, chives etc or your favorite herb, instead of parsley to make your own signature tartare sauce. Chopped hardboiled egg goes well in the sauce too.
Simply serve with some mashed potato and greens for a complete meal.
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
SPRING BREAK FIJI
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
SPRING BREAK FIJI
The ultimate 5 days & Nights in Paradise!