Ray McVinnie is the Consulting Food Director for The New Zealand Herald’s Bite magazine and www.bite.co.nz
1. What was the defining moment when you realised your passion for food?
Filling out forms in a swanky management consultants after finishing my MA. Suddenly I stopped dead and said thanks but I’ll take my chances and went straight out and got a job in a restaurant.
2. Was your mother an inspirational cook?
No, but both my grandmothers were. My mother taught me to enjoy food and to take it seriously as she did.
3. What attracted you to join the team at Bite.co.nz?
I like its wide appeal, its down to earth approach, its diversity, its willingness to try something different.
4. Travelling the world researching food sounds idyllic. What do you miss most when you are away from home?
Always my family! Irreplaceable.
5. What is the perfect three-course meal to wow your partner that caters for the novice chef?
Something which involves good shopping like perfect figs or melon and prosciutto followed by pan-fried duck breast (watch the video on bite.co.nz it’s easy), drizzled with balsamic, served with steam snow peas and saffron rice.
6. What is the one ingredient you will always have in your pantry?
Salt, used in moderation, it makes everything taste good.
7. What’s your preference – sweet or savoury?
8. What do you see as the food trend for 2015?
Don’t believe in food trends, they are driven by marketers. Cook to please yourself and not what people say is fashionable.
9. You’ve written five books, is there another one on the horizon?
Thinking about it, but there are too many cookbooks around at the moment.
10. What’s your most memorable ‘Masterchef’ judging experience?
The taste and texture of semi-raw, chicken and raspberry Tarte Tatin. Unforgettable.
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends