The Style Glossy: Dressing Room
Workwear Rules for Style Success
By Lara Myall for The Style Glossy
This season’s corporate catwalks couldn’t be further removed from the aggressive power-dressing of old, as softer silhouettes replace the ubiquitous sharp shoulder.
The secretary in all her femme fatale glory is workwear’s new muse, with suit skirt, pussy bow blouses and platform loafers stealing the show.
With this look in mind, follow these new rules for instant boardroom style success:
- Invest in a seasonal capsule wardrobe, which you can rotate on a weekly basis. It should include at least: one suit jacket/blazer; two skirts (preferably pencil or skater); one shift dress; one pair of wide-leg trousers (the strides du jour); a pair of tailored shorts (they look sleek with opaques); and three to four interchangeable blouses.
- Experiment with textures and colours. A cropped, colourful jacket will jazz up a cheap pair of black trousers, while a burnt-orange blouse will brighten up a navy skirt suit.
- Accessorise sparingly. There’s no place for multiple rings and heavy gold chains in the office. Opt for one statement ring, dual-purpose gems -- like a bracelet watch -- and a pair of fuss-free stud earrings to be taken seriously.
- Spend time putting a look together the night before. A well thought-out ensemble reveals a lot about the individual. Not only does it say you take pride in your appearance, but it’s also transferable to your work ethic. And it’ll ensure you clock in on time too!
- Splurge on bags. Designers have taken a vested interest in boardroom accessories.
- Make time for grooming. A daily blow-dry may be beyond your budget, but washed hair and clean, buffed nails are a must.
Wear stained shirts, laddered tights, scuffed shoes or chipped nail polish. Your first impression should look like you mean business.
- Confuse off-duty attire with workwear. Low-cut tops, miniskirts and 8-inch heels should be reserved for play and should never see the strip lighting of your workplace.
- Compromise on style. The office is the perfect arena to hone your style. Take a look at the runway collections and translate them into your working wardrobe. Remember, select your trends wisely. Give aviator jackets and heeled hiker boots a miss but snap up ’40s-inspired mid-length shifts and matchy-matchy gloves, shoes and bags.
- Become complacent. Flip flops and ballet pumps make essential commuting footwear, but resist the temptation to wear them all day. Keep a pair of heels in your bottom drawer at all times so you’re not caught out by a last-minute pitch.
- Overdo your makeup. Heavy eyeliner and glitter shadow will kill the corporate shark illusion and make you the laughing-stock of the office. Instead, aim for polished skin, defined eyes and add a slick of matte red lipstick if you’re feeling brave.
- Rock up to work in the same clothes as the day before. Leave the tell-tale walk of shame to the weekends if you really must.
Lara Myall has more than seven years’ experience in the fashion industry, and has contributed to a variety of publications.
New web site is looking good. Thanks for the great effort. voyance gratuite par telephone Join the Discussion..
Interview: Peter Alexander
New Member says
when money is in the picture pandora gioielli outlet online, it wasn't a fit case for eliminating... Join the Discussion..
Interview: Kelly Wilson author of For the Love of Horses: The Wilson Sisters' Inspiring Journey to Save New Zealand's Wild Horses
New Member says
l'ge de 5 ans. Elle avait trop peur des risques d'infection lorsqu'elle tait bb. Malgr toutes ses... Join the Discussion..
Your blog has chock-a-block of useful information. I liked your blog's content as well as its look.... Join the Discussion..
Picture Perfect Make-Up - Tips For Great Wedding Make-Up
New Member says
If you are finding about European Games 2019 then this place is for you. You can find all... Join the Discussion..
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends