Designer Kelly Coe, an avid fan of the races, has been involved in front of the judges with fashion in the field as well as judging. Today she is passing on her top tips to survive the day, whether you're there to watch the racing, put a bet on or simply to have a day out with your friends.
Top tips for newbies hitting the racetrack
If you havn't been to the races before my biggest tip would be to take a few weeks to plan your outfit, don't leave it to the last minute. Plan it so you find the perfect dress, with accessories, headwear and clutch to match and try it all on prior to the day.
If you have never put together a race day outfit before, google fashion in the fields and see what some winning on trend looks have been for the past few years and see what colours and styles are in fashion at the moment. The biggest mistake girls make is dressing like they would if they were hitting the town. If you would wear it to a dance party, don't wear it to the races, it is more demure, sophisticated and elegant than that. And invest in a great dress, don't buy a cheap $49 dress from a chain store that you will see 5 other girls wearing at the races. Buy an investment piece from a boutique and then research and find cheaper pieces to put the look together if you are on a budget.
The most important thing is to have fun with it, go overboard and dress up more than you ever have before, get ready with a bunch of girlfriends and make a day of it. And remember, you must have something on your head, must have a great clutch, some jewellery and a knock out dress. And then just have a great day out in the sun.
What to have in your handbag:
- Lipgloss - one that is not too sticky as it is always windy and nothing worse than your hair sticking to your lips.- camera - to capture you and your friends in all your glorry - foundation stick - to touch up- hair pins - again its windy so make sure you secure your fascinators - small hair spray- tickets- cell phone - pen - for the rare moment you might actually decide to bet on a horse race and not just watch the fashion- cash - because they dont always have eftpos everywhere so much easier to have cash
What I would look for style wise at the races:
If you were just going to the races for a fun day out and not to compete in a race event these would be the key things to tick off:
- is your dress covering enough of your body - of you are showing a bit of leg, make sure you are not showing any cleavage. If you are wearing a strapless dress make sure it is to the knee or longer.
- must, must, must have something in your hear or on your head - either a great hat (not a sunhat), a fascinator, trilby hat, headband with feathers and flowers etc.
- if your dress is not too busy around the neck area then go all out with a statement necklace.
- must must must have a clutch, a big handbag is a no no, a clutch is a must have.
- correct underwear - no bra straps showing or underwear lines.
- colour coordination is so important - buy your dress first, then pick a colour to match it or contrast it and focus on that for your clutch, headwear and accessories. You dont want to be a hot mess, coordinate and make it a comprehensive look.
Get Racing Ready with Augustine’s handcrafted fascinators!
Complementing classic or bold colourful outfits on the field
Meet the New Zealand Company That’s Revolutionising Fire Safety
Hi, Really great information. It is very helpful for me. CPA Outsourcing Join the Discussion..
This can be in addition a great article i genuinely liked looking at. It's not at all every day i... Join the Discussion..
People like numbers
New Member says
I rattling lucky to find this website on bing, just what I was looking for : D too saved... Join the Discussion..
Discover how SummitFIJI can boost your business
i love this text for the adeptly-researched content and notable wording. I got for that excuse... Join the Discussion..
Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce
whats up, this weekend is delightful for me, by means of now this era i'm analyzing this big... Join the Discussion..
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends