One of the industry’s most acclaimed professionals, Dr Katherine Armour brings her exceptional knowledge, passion and experience to her role of Consultant Dermatologist for L’Oréal Paris.
Katherine is a Fellow of the Australasian College of Dermatologists (FACD), and holds a number of esteemed positions within the field of dermatology. She is a Consultant Dermatologist at The Alfred Hospital, Monash Medical Centre and The Skin & Cancer Foundation in Victoria. Katherine’s particular field of interest is anti-ageing skincare.
L’Oréal Paris is pleased to bring you the FYI Dermo Update to share Katherine’s expertise in skincare.
SKIN AGEING IN NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand women enjoy the benefits of one of the best lifestyles in the world; a beautiful climate, outdoor lifestyle and proximity to sun, surf, sea and snow. When it comes to the skin however, our fantastic lifestyle, coupled with our location contributes to accelerated skin ageing, in particular amongst women of Celtic origin. In New Zealand, it is estimated that chronic sun exposure contributes more than 90% to the visible signs of ageing.
Skin ageing falls into two categories; Intrinsic ageing and Extrinsic ageing:
INTRINSIC AGEING is chronological ageing that occurs with the passage of time. Over time elastin and collagen fibres degenerate, the skin becomes thinner and the rate of cellular renewal slows down. In addition to this as we age our skin becomes drier, pigmentation changes, sebaceous glands enlarge leading to prominent pores and skin may even become thicker in some areas.
As elastin degenerates the fibres become lumpy and less resilient, this is the major cause of wrinkles and loss of elasticity. As collagen degenerates skin strength decreases and skin loosens. From the age of 45, the skin (the dermis, dermis and subcutaneous layers) starts to thin. The dermo epidermal junction which contributes to skin strength starts to flatten. The fatty subcutaneous layer, especially in the face, hands and calves begin to waste away. All these changes contribute to the appearance of wrinkles, loss of skin plumpness and elasticity.
Cellular renewal slows as we age, from the age of 30 to 70 cellular renewal decreases by 50%. The skin recovers and repairs itself less quickly, natural exfoliation slows, and the skin appears dull and loses luminosity.
EXTRINSIC SKIN AGEING is due to external factors; sun, smoking, pollution and prolonged exposure to cold and wind. So while some people are genetically blessed and may age at a slower rate, exposure to external factors will still impact them. In New Zealand sunlight plays a major role in accelerating the skin ageing process and, as previously mentioned, sun exposure is responsible for over 90% of the visible signs of ageing. Therefore effective daily sun protection, from both UVA and UVB rays, is the most important measure you can take to maintain more youthful looking skin. On-going excessive sun exposure can also inhibit your immune system from removing damaged cells, along with other repair mechanisms.
This means if New Zealand women make sun protection part of their daily skincare regimen, it will also give their skin a chance to repair some, but not all, of the damage. Even in winter and on overcast days you can still receive significant levels of UVA light. So UVA/UVB protection is needed all year round.
COMMON AGEING CONCERNS
• Prevention of skin ageing and skin cancer
• Fine lines – especially around the eyes and mouth
• Irregular pigmentation
• Brown (Sun) spots
• Dull complexion
• Loss of plumpness and elasticity
• Redness and prominent blood vessels
• Irregular skin texture
Key ageing concerns of women according to Dr Katherine Armour’s research:effective daily sun protection, from both UVA and UVB rays, is the most important measure you can take to maintain more youthful looking skin.
The addition of Youth Code Rejuvenating SPF 30 Daily Moisturiser, Revitalift SPF 30 and Age Perfect SPF15 to the L’Oréal Paris Dermo Expertise collection completes the SPF skincare range.
PROTECTECTION SHOULD START EARLY
UV Perfect Oily to Combination skin SPF 50+ UVA/UVBThe UV Perfect SPF 50+ UVA/UVB range offers the most advanced UVA/UVB protection from the L’Oréal Laboratories. It provides high factor UVB protection and photo stable UVA protection to help prevent premature ageing
• Technology: L’Oréal patented Mexoryl SX + XL filters, which took 10 years to develop, provide high UVB and photostable UVA protection
• Recommended for women of all ages. Use on its own as a daily moisturiser, or together with your favourite L’Oréal Paris anti-ageing cream as a make-up base
• SRP $15.29
• Available in store now
• UV Perfect SPF 50+ UVA/UVB is available in Classic and Tinted
UNLOCK YOUR YOUTH
New Youth Code Rejuvenating SPF 30 Daily Moisturiser
L’Oréal Paris Youth Code Rejuvenating SPF 30 Daily Moisturiser combines the power of Pro-GenTM technology with SPF protection to help prevent premature skin ageing.
• Technology: Pro-GenTM to improve the skin’s capacity to retain moisture, allowing it to regain the characteristics of younger looking skin: smooth, rejuvenated and radiant. Adenosine is a very powerful anti-wrinkle ingredient that works to slow the visible effects of skin ageing.
• Recommended for women 30+ as a daily moisturiser. This lightweight formula quickly absorbs in the skin, leaving your skin visibly rejuvenated and protected from daily exposure to UV rays.
• RRP $35.95
• Available in stores from September
PROTECTION WITH A LIFT
New Revitalift SPF 30 our highest broad spectrum UVA/UVB
An Ultra-lightweight lotion with all the anti-wrinkle and firming power of a cream. Elastin Complex: helps rebuild skin’s damaged fibres and remodels the skin’s natural surface
• Technology: Pro Retinol A: accelerates skin renewal and reduce the r and length of lines and surface wrinkles
• Recommended for women 30-50 years of age. Use as a daily mo
• SRP: $33.99
• Available in stores from October
GENTLY DOES IT
Revitalift Gentle SPF 18 contains UVA and UVB protection to fight against the harmful effects of the New Zealand sun on premature skin ageing
• Technology: Pro-Retinol A + Elastin: Pro-Retinol A stimulates skin regeneration to thicken the epidermis layer of the skin. Wrinkles are visibly reduced. The formula is enriched with Elastin, mimicking the Elastin naturally found in skin, causing skin to become firmer and lifted
• Recommended for women 30-50 years. This daily moisturiser is specifically developed for sensitive skin to lift wrinkles while soothing and protecting from UV damage
• SRP: $33.99
• Available in stores now
New Age Perfect SPF15 Anti-ageing moisturiser with SPF15 sun protection
Beta Hydroxy Acid complex to help reduce the size and intensity of age spots and help prevent the appearance of new ones
• Technology: Soya Bean extract, Beta Hydroxy Acid complex
• Recommended for women 50+. Daily SPF15 protection to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays and the signs of premature skin ageing
• SRP: $44.99
• Available in stores from October
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
ALL NZ Daily Deals
Shop Smart, The best daily deals from around New Zealand pulled together into this one set of pages
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends