‘Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves – slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh
Yesterday I had tea with a Daoist tea monk who said for tea to change you, you have to create a sacred space in your heart for the tea.
Imagine that space for a moment. How does it feel? What can reside in that sacred space? How different is it from mechanically drinking tea, without paying attention to it?
Now think about the difference between just drinking tea, as if you were drinking anything and not really paying attention … and drinking tea with that sacred space in your heart for that tea. It’s profoundly different, and it changes everything.
You can do that for anything, not just tea. Anything that’s important to you.
If you create a sacred space in your heart for something, it changes how you do it. It changes you, at the molecular level.
We crank through things these days — email, social networks, news, work tasks, calls, meetings, deadlines — and then the day is gone. This is a waste of a miracle, the day that we’ve been given.
Instead, create a sacred space for that which matters most:
- meditation, yoga, tea
- reading at bedtime with your child
- having tea with your spouse
- a daily walk
- your most important and creative work
Perhaps every moment should have a sacred space in our hearts, but we have to start somewhere. Pick something small but important, and create that space today.
Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world.’ ~T’ien Yiheng
Mindful + Entrepreneur: A Seminar with Leo
In other news, I’m holding a 3-hour seminar here in San Francisco with my friend Jesse Jacobs (creator of the Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Tea):
Mindful + Entrepreneur Seminar The seminar will be held at Samovar Tea Lounge at the Yerba Buena Gardens in San Francisco on March 21, 2013. Join us!
n this 3-hour seminar you will:
- taste great tea and chocolate: learn how to be an expert taster
- talk with Jesse Jacobs, founder of Samovar Tea Lounge, and Leo Babauta, founder of the Zen Habits website
- learn to focus mindfully
- learn to savor life more
- find calm throughout the work day
- learn how–and why–to single-task
- learn how to deal with distraction
- try some simple meditation techniques
- create focused task lists
- become good at change and discomfort
- learn how to create habits
- discuss the fundamentals of building an online and retail business
- learn about how Jesse created Samovar, and how I created Zen Habits
- talk about our main sources of revenue
- discuss some of the lessons we’ve learned in building their businesses
- ask us your burning questions questions so you don’t make the mistakes they made
The seminar will be broken into two sessions: mindfulness, and entrepreneurship. A selection of Samovar Tea Lounge’s handcrafted teas and chocolates will be provided.
This intimate and unique seminar is limited to 25 participants.
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
ALL NZ Daily Deals
Shop Smart, The best daily deals from around New Zealand pulled together into this one set of pages
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends