Over time beers come and go due to many reasons. A lot of it these days is that everyone wants to drink international style lagers (or should I say drinking brands) that are bland and boring. So I thought I would come up with six beers that I would like to try again once, now that they are not available anymore.
1. Kiwi Lager - New Zealand's lost lager. The one that could have become our nations signature beer. DB had to stop making Kiwi Lager as part of their deal to start production of Heineken. Thanks Heineken.
2. Malt Mac - this was the most interesting beer to come out of Mac's. It was made with peated malt so had a big peaty scotch whisky taste, but behind that was a huge Cascade hop hit. Also was exported to the Michael Jackson Beer Club in the USA and was featured beer for a month.
3. Montieth's Sasion - best example of D Saaz in any beer made in New Zealand. A shame the public of New Zealand didn't get it (understand it I mean). Also a shame that they announced this beer on the same day they announced the closure and layoffs at the Greymouth Monteith's Brewery. It was possible the beginning of the commercialization of what had been an exciting brand with interesting beers.
4. Monteith's Dopplebock - I'm talking about the 7% version that was within style and the marketing people that didn't know anything about beer, hadn't called it a Winter Ale on the label. This beer was even better years after its best before date (yes a cellared beer, even vintaged can you believe it) as the slight oxidation continued to increase the malt. Awesome malt.
5. Mac's Hop Harvest Pilsner - this was the second best Mac's beer that was ever made. The hop aroma and flavour was at a level that could justify the term "hoppy". Nice work Mr Goldman.
6. Leopard Continental Lager - I'd like to try this again due to the fact it was one of my very first memories of drinking beer, and drinking from one of the old steel cans when I was a kid. It just tasted like beer then, be nice to have known what it actually tasted like. (not the rehashed version Lion came out with a few years ago, I'm talking about the 70's)
I could have included the likes of Australis Benediction or Romanov (cause I still have some), and the 1998 Pink Elephant Mammoth, or any number of obscure one off beers that most of the nation didn't get to try, but I didn't
Luke Nicholas is a New Zealand based beer expert. Creator of the website RealBeer, previously head brewer of the Cock & Bull's beers, owner of Epic Brewing Company and Epic Pale Ale, international beer judge, industry commentator, founding president of SOBA, and vice president of the Brewers Guild of New Zealand.
Interview: Kelly Wilson author of For the Love of Horses: The Wilson Sisters' Inspiring Journey to Save New Zealand's Wild Horses
New Member says
with a hundred tag lines that draw neither smile nor sneer from the city: Nickel Town pandora... Join the Discussion..
C'estmagnifique, maiscen'est pas la guerre [It is magnificent, but it is not war]. Pierre Bosquet, 1854
New Member says
Are you looking for KBC Lottery Winner 2020 list?. You should choose our platform to be listed in... Join the Discussion..
Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason. Jerry Seinfeld
I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and... Join the Discussion..
My thing about going to the gym is that I leave my bracelets on, and I put on my makeup the way I would do it in real life, and I wear cute clothes
Great content material and great layout. Your website deserves all of the positive feedback it’s... Join the Discussion..
Cinderella story. Outta nowhere.A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac..
New Member says
This content is written very well. Your use of formatting when making your points makes your... Join the Discussion..
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends