Marshmallows are always a favourite with kids as they’re pretty much pure sugar and you can do so much with them, so if you really want to treat your kids then make these Homemade Marshmallows with them for a treat they’ll never forget!
Butter, for greasing & confectioners' sugar, for coating
2 tablespoons gelatin, strawberry flavor or any flavors
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup boiling water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
© Sierpniowka | Dreamstime.com
- Butter a square baking dish. Line with waxed paper, then butter waxed paper, and lightly coat with confectioners' sugar.
- Disolve gelatin in cold water, in the bowl of a stand mixer, using whisk attachment.
- In a large saucepan, over medium high heat, whisk together granulated sugar, boiling water and salt; bring to a boil, whisking frequently.
- Stop whisking, and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 168 degrees C.
- Pour syrup slowly over gelatin. Add vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed, for 20 minutes, or until thick and cool.
- Butter a spatula, and scrape marshmallow cream into prepared dish; smooth the surface.
- Freeze overnight, then remove waxed paper from dish, lifting out marshmallow.
- Peel waxed paper off, then cut into squares, on a cutting board, using a buttered-sharp knife. Lightly dust marshmallows with additional confectioners' sugar.
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
ALL NZ Daily Deals
Shop Smart, The best daily deals from around New Zealand pulled together into this one set of pages
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Win NZ Secondary Schools and Your Child. A Guide for Parents $34
The publication of New Zealand Secondary Schools and Your Child $34.99 is very timely in helping families make decisions for the...
Win Big Pacific An incredible journey of exploration and revelat
The Pacific Ocean covers one-third of Earth’s surface — greater than all of the planet’s landmasses combined.
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Jim Beam Rock Island is an all inclusive fully immersive travel experience which was brought into the music festival scene by Jim...