For a healthy salad with a difference, give this Marinated Herring Salad a try. It’s unusual yet highly delicious, and you will be amazed at the variety of tastes and textures in this meal. It’s a healthy meal that will be enjoyed by all, and is great for a hot summer’s day!
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
250ml soured cream
120ml plain yogurt
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp caster sugar
2 tart dessert apples
2 pickled dill cucumbers, sliced and chopped1 pinch salt
1 pinch black pepper300g marinated herring fillets, drained
2 cooked potatoes, diced (optional)
1 cooked beetroot, sliced (optional)
1 tbs chopped dill, to garnish
© Moniphoto | Dreamstime.com
- Put the onion in a bowl, cover with cold water, and leave to soak for 15minutes.
- Drain well, then toss with the soured cream, yogurt, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Stir in the apple and pickles, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place half the herring in a serving dish and top with the potatoes and the beetroot, if using.
- Cover with half the soured cream sauce. Layer the remaining herring, potatoes, and beetroot over the sauce, then add the remaining sauce.
- Cover the dish tightly with cling film and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- Sprinkle with dill just before serving.
|Breakfast Recipes||Brunch Recipes||Crockpot Recipes|
| Lunch Recipes
||Entree Recipes||Kids Recipes|
| Dinner Recipes
||Dessert Recipes||Healthy Recipes
|Easy & Quick Recipes|
New Member says
I love Sour Cream and Chives Potato Chips - I normally restrict eating a bag when the netball is on... Join the Discussion..
Win new Friskies Tasty Treasures flavours
New Member says
My cat Isabella would love to try these awesome new flavours. Bon appetite. Join the Discussion..
Movies - taking it to the limit!
I think the new Avenger's movie, San Andreas and Jurassic World are really setting a new standard... Join the Discussion..
Bring a plate...
usually a quiche, i roast some vegetables then make the quiche with them in ,top it of with... Join the Discussion..
What is your favourite Restaurant & WHY?
Havana in Wellington - really tasty food tapas to share - great tastes and very sociable. Join the Discussion..
Win A Double Pass To The Baby Show Auckland
Chelsey has two double passes to giveaway!
The Baby Show Auckland
Calling all mums, dads, new parents-to-be and grandparents… tickets to New Zealand’s biggest parenting event of the year