If you’re after a dish that none of your guests will ever have had before to serve as an entrée, then make this Shrimp Courtboullion with Rice. It will impress everybody that tastes it, and you’ll want to make it again and again!
1 can whole tomatoes in juice
5 cups white fish stock
600g medium shrimp in shell (31 to 35 per lb), peeled, reserving shells
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped onion (1 medium)
3/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper (1/2 medium)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
2/3 cup long-grain white rice
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced scallion greens (from 2 bunches)
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice, and finely chop. Bring stock and shrimp shells to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan, then simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes. Pour stock through a sieve into a bowl, discarding shells. (Stock will appear cloudy.) Devein shrimp, then halve lengthwise and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Chill shrimp, covered, until ready to use.
- Melt butter in a 6- to 7-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, then add flour and cook roux, stirring constantly, until the color of peanut butter, 10 to 15 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until bell pepper is softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juice, stock, 1 cup water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and cayenne and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer court bouillon, partially covered, 30 minutes.
- While courtbouillon simmers, bring remaining 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan. Add rice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and return to a boil. Cover pan, then reduce heat to low and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Add shrimp to courtbouillon and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Stir in scallion greens.
- Divide rice among soup plates, then ladle in courtbouillon with shrimp.
|Breakfast Recipes||Brunch Recipes||Crockpot Recipes|
| Lunch Recipes
||Entree Recipes||Kids Recipes|
| Dinner Recipes
||Dessert Recipes||Healthy Recipes
|Easy & Quick Recipes|
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
ALL NZ Daily Deals
Shop Smart, The best daily deals from around New Zealand pulled together into this one set of pages
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends