Going with a German theme, this Braised Sauerkraut is absolutely heavenly! It’s easier to make than you could’ve dreamed possible, and we’re absolutely sure that none of your guests will ever have had an entrée like it.
1 kilo sauerkraut
1/4 kilo chunk of bacon
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 1/2 cup sliced onions
4 tablespoon pork fat or butter
The following tied in washed cheesecloth:
4 sprigs parsley
1 bay leaf
10 juniper berries (or add 1/4 cup gin to casserole)
1 cup sparkling wine
3 cups chicken stock
2-3 kilos various kinds of browned meat such as: Roast pork, Pork chops, etc
© Stephane Tougard | Dreamstime.com
- Drain the sauerkraut and soak in cold water for 15 to 20 minutes. Taking it by small handfuls, squeeze out as much water as you can. Pick it apart to separate the strands.
- Remove the rind and slice the bacon into 1/2 inch cubes about 2 inches long. Simmer it in 1 quart of water for 10 minutes and drain.
- Preheat oven to 205 degrees.
- Cook bacon, carrots, and onions in butter slowly in the covered casserole for 10 minutes without browning. Stir in the sauerkraut and when itis well covered with the fat and vegetables, cover and cook slowly for 10 minutes more.
- Bury the herbs and spices in the saurkraut. Pour in the wine, and enough stock to just cover the sauerkraut. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer on top of the stove. Lay a buttered round of wax paper on top of sauerkraut. Cover and set in the middle of preheated oven. Simmer slowly for 3 1/2 hours.
- Brown assorted meats in skillet. Bury them in the casserole while the sauerkraut is still braising.
- Continue to simmer in oven for another 1 1/2hours.
|Breakfast Recipes||Brunch Recipes||Crockpot Recipes|
| Lunch Recipes
||Entree Recipes||Kids Recipes|
| Dinner Recipes
||Dessert Recipes||Healthy Recipes
|Easy & Quick Recipes|
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
ALL NZ Daily Deals
Shop Smart, The best daily deals from around New Zealand pulled together into this one set of pages
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends