Going with a German theme, this Braised Sauerkraut is absolutely heavenly! It’s easier to make than you could’ve dreamed possible, and we’re absolutely sure that none of your guests will ever have had an entrée like it.
1 kilo sauerkraut
1/4 kilo chunk of bacon
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 1/2 cup sliced onions
4 tablespoon pork fat or butter
The following tied in washed cheesecloth:
4 sprigs parsley
1 bay leaf
10 juniper berries (or add 1/4 cup gin to casserole)
1 cup sparkling wine
3 cups chicken stock
2-3 kilos various kinds of browned meat such as: Roast pork, Pork chops, etc
© Stephane Tougard | Dreamstime.com
- Drain the sauerkraut and soak in cold water for 15 to 20 minutes. Taking it by small handfuls, squeeze out as much water as you can. Pick it apart to separate the strands.
- Remove the rind and slice the bacon into 1/2 inch cubes about 2 inches long. Simmer it in 1 quart of water for 10 minutes and drain.
- Preheat oven to 205 degrees.
- Cook bacon, carrots, and onions in butter slowly in the covered casserole for 10 minutes without browning. Stir in the sauerkraut and when itis well covered with the fat and vegetables, cover and cook slowly for 10 minutes more.
- Bury the herbs and spices in the saurkraut. Pour in the wine, and enough stock to just cover the sauerkraut. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer on top of the stove. Lay a buttered round of wax paper on top of sauerkraut. Cover and set in the middle of preheated oven. Simmer slowly for 3 1/2 hours.
- Brown assorted meats in skillet. Bury them in the casserole while the sauerkraut is still braising.
- Continue to simmer in oven for another 1 1/2hours.
|Breakfast Recipes||Brunch Recipes||Crockpot Recipes|
| Lunch Recipes
||Entree Recipes||Kids Recipes|
| Dinner Recipes
||Dessert Recipes||Healthy Recipes
|Easy & Quick Recipes|
Writing Your Wedding Thank Yous
New Member says
The birth year was a strong one for the AmericansIIHF World Junior Championship 2020 Live Stream... Join the Discussion..
Beach, Beats & BBQs at The New Zealand Herald Christmas Carnival Boxing Day Races
Thank you very much for sharing such a useful article. Will definitely saved and revisit your... Join the Discussion..
Interesting and interesting information can be found on this topic here profile worth to see... Join the Discussion..
Weekly Cute Fix - 17 August 2015
Hi, I log on to your new stuff like every week. Your humoristic style is witty, keep it up Voyance... Join the Discussion..
People like numbers
you have an excellent weblog here! would you prefer to make some invite posts on my blog? voyance... Join the Discussion..
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends