Shumai or shaumai is traditional Chinese pork dumplings usually wrapped in pastry made from flour and water. They are steamed and served as part of yum char. This recipe uses lettuce leaves in place of pastry.
Ingredients (make 10)
300g pork mince
½ medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons corn flour
10 fancy lettuce leaves
Soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce to serve.
- Mix pork mince, onion, ginger, salt, sesame oil and corn flour in a bowl. Knead the mixture with your hand until the mixture become sticky.
- Wash and dry lettuce leaves with paper towel and lay flat on a plate. Dust with plain flour.
- Put 1/10 of pork mixture on the middle of a lettuce leaf and shape like tulip flower.
- Continue to make 10 shao mai.
- In a shallow sauce pan or a frying pan, arrange all the shao mai standing up in a single layer supporting each other. Add water to the pan to the depth of half the shao mai height. Be careful not to let the water steep inside of dumplings.
- Cover with a lid and put on to medium heat. Let it steam for 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked.
- Serve with soy sauce, vinegar and chili sauce.
Chika’s Tip: You can cook shumai in microwave. Place shumai in a heatproof plate and loosely cover with cling film. Microwave high for 7 minutes. Leave for 3 minutes to rest before serving.
Cocktail & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Daily words of Inspiration
Sometimes wise, sometimes true, sometimes just a really good giggle. Updated daily.
Your Weekly Cute Fix
We've carefully limited the collection to seven at a time so you don't implode with the onslaught of cuteness :P Enjoy
ALL NZ Daily Deals
Shop Smart, The best daily deals from around New Zealand pulled together into this one set of pages
Top Sex Positions
Spice up your bedroom with Chelsey's list of top sex positions to rock your world!
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends