Sometimes you want nothing except sweetness for brunch, and that’s when this recipe for Glazed Doughnuts really comes into its own. Making doughnuts is so much fun, and eating them is even better!
For the doughnuts:
3 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 cup whole milk, heated to 43°C
2 to 2 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for the work surface
2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large egg yolks
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
Vegetable oil for frying
For the sugar glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted to remove any lumps
3 to 4 tablespoons milk or water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
© Lksstock | Dreamstime.com
For the Doughnuts:
- In a medium bowl, dissolve 2 tablespoons of the yeast in 3/4 cup of the warm milk.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of the flour to create a smooth paste. Cover and let rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
- Combine the remaining warm milk and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add the flour mixture along with the sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg yolks. Mix until smooth.
- Turn off the mixer and add 1/2 cup of the remaining flour. Mix on low for about 30 seconds.
- Add the butter and mix until it becomes incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Switch to a dough hook and, with the mixer turned off, add more flour, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- Knead the dough on medium speed between additions until the dough pulls completely away from the sides of the bowl and is smooth and not too sticky.
- It will be very soft and moist, but not so sticky that you can’t roll it out. (You may have flour left over.) Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with a lightly floured dish towel. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 2cm thick.
- With a doughnut or cookie cutter, cut out holes. (Note: If making filled doughnuts, clearly, don’t cut out the holes.) You can re-roll the scraps and cut out additional holes.
- Place the doughnuts at least 1 inch apart on the baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rest in a warm spot to proof until they almost double in size, 5 to 20 minutes, peeking every five minutes.
- To test whether the dough is ready, touch it lightly with a fingertip. If it springs back immediately, it needs more time. If it springs back slowly, it is ready. If it doesn’t spring back at all, it has over-proofed, in which case you can punch it down and re-roll it once.
- While the doughnuts are proofing, heat a heavy-bottomed pot with at least 2 inches of oil until a deep-fat thermometer registers 182°C. With a metal spatula, carefully place a couple of doughnut holes or doughnuts in the oil, being careful not to crowd the pot.
- Fry for 1 to 2 minutes per side, until light golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on a wire rack over a paper towel, and let cool slightly before glazing. Repeat with the remaining doughnuts and holes, keeping the temperature consistent.
For the glaze:
- Place the sugar in a bowl and slowly stir in the milk and vanilla, if using, a little at a time, to make a smooth, pourable glaze.
- Pour the glaze into a shallow bowl. Dunk the doughnuts, let any excess glaze drip off, and then transfer them to a wire rack placed on a baking sheet or over a sheet of parchment paper to rest until glaze sets.
|Breakfast Recipes||Brunch Recipes||Crockpot Recipes|
| Lunch Recipes
||Entree Recipes||Kids Recipes|
| Dinner Recipes
||Dessert Recipes||Healthy Recipes
|Easy & Quick Recipes|
Grilled Lobster with Oregano
New Member says
Get rewarded with money and free gift cards from brand name stores by answering market research... Join the Discussion..
Fettuccine with vegetables
New Member says
I just couldn’t leave your site prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the usual info a... Join the Discussion..
Interview:Gregory O'Brien author of See What I Can See: New Zealand Photography for the Young and Curious
New Member says
Watch Fury vs Wallin Live Stream Free Boxing Online. Tyson Fury vs Otto Wallin: live stream,... Join the Discussion..
Interview: Victoria Laherty Adams
This one is good. Keep up the good work I also visit here: and I get lot of information. cheap... Join the Discussion..
Hyderabad Escorts||Hyderabad Escort||Hyderabad Escorts Service||Hyderabad Escorts||Hyderabad Call... Join the Discussion..
Secure your motivation for the year by locking in SpringBreak in Fiji, your own exclusive island
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
From a fully chartered resort, an incredible line up of Kiwi musicians and Rock legends flown in you'll find nothing close to...
Summit FIJI aims to revolutionise how businesses can approach conferences, corporate retreats and team building weekends